Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Questions and Answers with Comedian Sean Murphy


What/who inspired you to do what you do?

When I was 13 or 14, I saw the movie Lenny starring Dustin Hoffman and I thought it was cool. I was doing acting at the time in high school...George Carlton, it seems silly now to say he was dirty but when I first heard him I was spellbound and even though I didn't start comedy until I was 25 that fascination was always there.

How long has your career lasted?

5 years.

Where have you traveled with your talents, what's your next destination? If you could choose your next destination?

At some point I've thought about moving to LA. I was seriously considering moving last summer but that didn't fall through. I was managing a comedy club part time here in New York but I was having a little too much fun..acting crazed like a vodka crazed Caligula

Where is your favorite spot to perform and why?

My favorite spot still is the New York Comedy Club,,,even though I'm not there, I feel very comfortable, it feels very natural to perform there.

Who is your favorite obscure artist/comic/performer to work with? Famous?

I don't work regularly with anyone famous but I've worked with Donnel Rawlings from the Dave Chappel show and he's fun to work with. I love working with Steve Marshall, he's a really funny guy and he's really supportive of younger up and coming comics.

Tell me some perks of being a comic. What are some perks? What are some peeves?

The main perk is the instant gratification and seeing something work right away. Right now, I'm writing a short story and you don't know. Whereas with comedy, you know right way but then there's the constant struggle with liking material that the audience doesn't and choosing to abandon it or not.

What's it like being 'on the road'?

Never been on the road. Done road shows in Penn and New Jersey but never on the road...don't know what it's like.

Does being a comic heighten or hinder your chances of having a meaningful
relationship?

I would say hinder. One, you work at night and you work weird hours. Two, you meet a lot of people and there's a lot of temptation and three, the competitiveness of it all can kill a relationship.

Ever had a heckler? If so, how did you handle it?

Of course, I've had plenty of hecklers but I've manage to turn it around or had hecklers get sided with the audience and there's nothing you can do about it.

Ever been on TV? Radio? Describe one or both.

I've been on the Man Cow, I did a character for them. I was on the Game Show but I don't have any real comedy show credits.

Are you consistent with your material or do you like to change it constantly, what are the ingredients?

I constantly try something new but I always want to change it.

Where do you see yourself in five years from now?

On a pirate boat off the coast of Somalia but that's wishful thinking. I'll probably still be doing comedy.


See this incredibly funny Irish  Irish-American comic talk about his NY experiences at the Laff Riot Comedy Club, Joe Franklins and New York Comedy Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment