Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Questions and Answers: NYC Comic Pauly Confusion














What/who inspired you to do what you do?

When I was young um I always loved to be the center of attention. My parents had HBO and I always got to see Robin Williams, Rodney Dangerfield...I always knew when I was young what was funny even though I didn't always get the adult content...

Where have you done comedy?

I've done stand up in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Florida, Pennsylvania, South Carolina..

Where is your favorite place to perform and why?

Well, I mean I love New York, I just think the whole spirit of stand up is here. You feel the great history here on stage. You have a great mix: tourists, New Yorkers, etc. I love the smaller clubs and venues, low ceilings, great for comedy.I've been on shows with Robert Kelly who became big. I've been on shows with lots of different performers. New York's kind of a small town and after awhile everyone is gonna get their shot.

What are the perks of being a comic? What are the peeves?

Well, the perks are if you're in a party and going out after the show, people want to buy you drinks and take you out after,,,if you're on the road you get a place to stay...the down side is this can lead you to get in trouble and lose focus and when people find out you're a comic people always want to put you on the spot and wind you up like you're a toy and turn you into an entertainment thing and not a person.

Is it lonely on the road?

Yeah, it can be. It depends, if you go to certain towns where you're not with friends and your used to New York where you can get whatever you want whenever you want, you can't and you can become a prisoner in your hotel room. There are fun times, depends who you're with and where you're going. Once I went to a place by Virgina Beach and it was at a nice condo and hanging out at the beach and I hung with a cool girl, you know it all depends. Some people don't mind being alone, but I can't.

Does being a comic heighten or hinder your relationships?

My personal relationships with women? It's difficult to have a serious relationship. Women don't like that you're not going to be around at night, and the whole trust issue...where you'll meet people after the show. When you're a comic, there's pressure to always be there...

Ever have a heckler? If so, how do do handle situations such as these?

All kinds, drunk hecklers, those who didn't know, people laughing at the wrong time, you have to address it real quick, and be funny about it and move on. It's a control thing...you have to remain in control, you can't let someone divert your attention and throw you off your game and the audience will respect you for how you deal with them.

Ever been on TV or Radio?

Radio, yes. 2005, I was on a morning show, did some improv Man Cow in Chicago and WOR with Joey Reynolds. University television, streamed on part time there. Went on Blind Date, a Reality show and I did a commercial for ESPN.

Tell me a little about your material and how you develop it.

Like most comics, I have some things I always use, but I like to do little changes so you never see the exact same because I like to rip about the things that are going on but if I'm making new material, I take advantage of how I feel, the vibe, the audience...when you're too strict with your material and rely too heavily on it, the audience can see this.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I'm 31 right now. I'm not a five year plan type of guy. Before my 40th, I plan on and will host the Oscars and that's one of my big plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment